I told myself I wasn’t going to come here today and talk about the weather. But here I am. Talking about the weather. Sorry. It’s just been so all consuming. I feel like I have nothing else exciting to report. Snow, snow and more snow. This is my life.
And as if all this snow wasn’t already bad enough, they actually closed the road to the island during the last storm due to low visibility. So no one was allowed to drive on or off the island. I hit a new level of stir crazy that day.
So thank goodness for citrus. It’s like a ray of sunshine in all this winter madness. And I’m putting it in everything and anything. From baked goods to pizza to cocktails. Everything is made better with a little citrus.
Today we’re getting our daily dose of citrus in this Roasted Orange and Beet Salad. Which has ALL my current obsessions: oranges, beets, kale, goat cheese, avocado and farro. It’s a lot of goodness all in one place. And definitely hearty and filling enough to be enjoyed as a main meal.
I kind of want to eat this salad everyday for the rest of my life. And if it keeps on snowing and they keep closing the road to the island, I just might have to do that.
The oranges are sliced very thin and roasted until they just start to blacken in a few places. The peel becomes soft and loses some of it’s bitterness during roasting, so you can eat the whole darn slice. Pretty delicious if you ask me! And kudos to us for using the WHOLE fruit. Waste not, want not. Right?
Roasted Orange and Beet Salad
- For the Salad
- 1 cup pearled farro
- 2 cups water
- 1 large orange
- 3 medium beets, trimmed and peeled
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium bunch of kale
- 1 avocado, pitted, peeled and cubed
- 2 ounces goat cheese, crumbled
- For the Dressing
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 1/4 tsp. sugar
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 1/8 tsp. pepper
- Cook the farro. In a heavy bottom saucepan, bring the farro and the water to a boil. Then reduce the heat to maintain a simmer and cook, covered, about 25-30 minutes, stirring once halfway through cooking. Once cooked, remove from the heat and set aside to cool. Note: if you have whole farro instead of pearled farro, this will require an overnight soak and a longer cooking time. Follow the package instructions.
- While the farro is cooking, pre-heat your oven to 400 degrees. Trim and discard the ends from the orange. Then slice the orange into 1/4-inch thick slices, discarding any seeds that you find. Slice the beets into 1/4-inch thick rounds as well.
- Line two large rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper. Spread the orange slices and beet slices out on the parchment-paper lined baking sheets, keeping them separate. Drizzle a little olive oil over the orange and beet slices, then sprinkle the tops with a pinch of salt. Transfer to your pre-heated oven and roast for about 15-20 minutes. The orange slices are done when they have started to blacken in some places. The beet slices should be softened slightly. Remove from your oven and set aside to cool.
- Trim and discard the thick stems from the kale. Then thinly slice the leaves into ribbons. Add the kale ribbons to a large bowl along with 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Use your hands to massage the olive oil into the kale until the leaves are well coated and shiny. Add the cooked farro, avocado, goat cheese and the roasted orange and beet slices to the bowl.
- Make the salad dressing by whisking together all of the ingredients. Then add the dressing to the bowl, tossing gently to coat. Serve and enjoy.
- This salad will keep for up to one day in an airtight container in your refrigerator.