I’m going to keep things short and sweet today, because I’m currently racing off to the airport to catch a flight to Florida. I’m joining some of my amazing blogging friends for three days of relaxation, workshops, brainstorming, networking and of course, eating and drinking.
So the fact that today is #30MinuteThursday couldn’t be more perfect. Because I’ve got a quick and easy recipe to go along with this abbreviated blog post. That just makes sense to me.
In case you missed it, 30 Minute Thursday is a new series we started last month. The idea is pretty simple and self explanatory: we post recipes for meals that can be made in 30 minutes or less. Yeah! This month, I’m bringing these Cauliflower-Apple Fritters with Mixed Greens to the party. The fritters are great just on their own. But to turn them into a complete meal, I like to pile them on top of my favorite salad fixings for a satisfying and healthy vegetarian entrée.
Be sure to check out all the links below to see what my friends cooked up this month. And if you make my Cauliflower-Apple Fritters with Mixed Greens, or any of the other recipes from 30 Minute Thursday, be sure to give us a shout out on social media and tag your creations #30MinuteThursday so we can see them!
- For the Fritters
- 1 1/2 cups finely diced cauliflower
- 1 1/2 cups shredded apple (about 1 medium apple)
- 4 scallions, white and light green parts thinly sliced
- 1/2 jalapeño, finely diced
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. fennel seeds, lightly crushed
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- For the Salad
- Mixed greens
- Cherry tomatoes, halved
- Balsamic Vinegar
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- Make the fritters. In a large bowl combine the cauliflower, apple, scallions, jalapeño, parsley, salt, fennel seeds and egg. Add the flour and stir until everything is well coated. Set aside.
- Heat a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Warm about 1 tablespoon of the olive oil. Using a 1/4 cup measuring cup, drop mounds of the fritter batter into the skillet. Flatten out the mounds slightly using the bottom of the measuring cup or the back of a spatula. Let the fritters cook for about 4-5 minutes, or until brown and crisp. Then flip them and cook for an additional 3-4 minutes on the second side. If your skillet is getting dry, add a little more olive oil. Remove the fritters from the skillet and place on a paper towel-lined plate. Set aside.
- Make up the salad. I created a very simple salad of mixed greens and cherry tomatoes with a balsamic and olive oil dressing. You can use whatever salad ingredients and dressing you prefer.
- To serve, divide the salad between plates. Place 2-3 fritters on top. Enjoy immediately.
1. I used my food processor with the shredding attachment to process the cauliflower and apple.
Hazelnut Chicken One Pot Pasta by Bake. Eat. Repeat.
30-Minute Farro Fried “Rice” by Flavor the Moments
Veggie-Packed Peanut Noodles by Flying on Jess Fuel
Roasted Sweet Potato and Arugula Pasta with Chickpeas by Kristine’s Kitchen
Alice Springs Shrimp Quesadilla by Maebells
Unstuffed Pepper Bake by Pumpkin ‘N Spice
Pan-Fried Gnocchi with Sun Dried Tomatoes and White Beans by Sweet Peas & Saffron
One-Pot Italian Chicken and Orzo Pasta by Whole and Heavenly Oven
Now this is one awesome take on apple fritters! Savory apples are a huge weakness of mine and these would be so dangerous around me!
I just love using apples for savory things. So good! I hope you try out these fritters. They aren’t too dangerous since, they’re pretty healthy!
Hope you have a great time in Florida, Liz! These apple fritters look amazing! You make the most creative dishes, love it!
Aww..thanks, Gayle! You always give the best compliments! 🙂
Cauliflower and apple sounds so interesting! And fritters look really yummy!
How fun are these fritters?? Apple anything is totally my jam these days so these are right up my alley! Love all those gorgeous greens too!
Thanks, Sarah! I hope you try them out!
Liz, oh my gawd, are you going on the blogger retreat with Ashley from Spoonful of Flavor? I was invited too but couldn’t make it! Darn it, I want to meet you one day!!! I freaking love the 30 Minute Thursday recipes and LOVE these fritters!!!! the bomb! so good!
I AM going on the event that Ashley organized. Too bad you couldn’t make it, Alice. Dying to met you in person! Soon I hope! XO
Ahh have so much fun in Florida! Soon enough, we will be eating our way through Boston together, eek!
Yes we will! And drinking ALL THE BOURBON!
These fritters look delicious, Liz — that cauliflower and apple combination sounds like a winner! Have a blast in Florida!
Oh have fun down in Florida! Hope it’s warmer than up here. These are just what Thursdays need!
This flavor combo, Liz! Absolutely love it and the fact that it comes together in 30 min? Even better! I think fritters are a weakness.. because I get that tingling behind the knees when I spy vegg fritters… Thank you for this my dear! Your Florida trip sounds quite nice!
Thanks, Traci. Fritters are so fun. I just love ’em!
These are straight up nom-tastic little bites of 30 minute meal heaven! I am dying over the cauliflower, apple and Fennel combination, Liz! Pinned! Hope you have a safe flight to the sunshine state and have a great time! Cheers! ; )
Thanks, Cheyanne! XO
Love how quickly these fritters come together! And I’m forever in love with fennel 🙂 Pinning!
Me too! 🙂
I love this meal – so many good textures and flavors! The last time I tried making fritters they were a soggy mess, so I think I’ll have more luck using less watery ingredients like cauliflower.
Oh no! Well I hope you have better luck. Definitely try these out. Not soggy at all!
I’m always looking for new cauliflower recipes for our cauliflower from our garden so I can’t wait to try these Autumn flavored fritters!
Jealous of your homegrown cauliflower! 🙂
Cauliflower and apples are some of my most favorite things EVER! I need these fritters in my life! Pinned!
Then you would totally love these, Taylor!
You just can’t go wrong when it comes to fritters! Have a great trip Liz!
Fritters are always a good idea! 🙂
These look awesome, Liz! I need more quick vegetarian dinner recipes at my finger tips and this one even has apples in it! Have so much fun in Florida!
Thanks, Izzy! I hope you try them out!
I seriously love the sound (and looks) of these fritters! Such a healthy meal…Have a GREAT time in Florida!
What a dish! This is such a great option for Meatless Monday! Have a fun trip!!
Thanks so much, Annie!
Why have I never paired cauliflower and apple together before?? That sounds fantastic! Hope you are having a great trip!
Thanks, Ashley! I hope you try out the fritters!
These fritters look incredible, Liz! I love that you’ve paired apples with cauliflower. This is my kind of meatless meal! 🙂
I’m totally making these for dinner tonight! Thanks, Liz!!!
That’s so awesome to hear, Meagan!
Pingback: Pan-Fried Gnocchi with Sundried Tomatoes and White Beans | Sweet Peas and Saffron
Pingback: One-Pot Italian Chicken and Orzo Pasta
Pingback: 30 Minute Thursday: Unstuffed Pepper Bake - Pumpkin 'N Spice
Pingback: 25 Fantastic Cauliflower Recipes