Can it be Friday now? Because I’m ready for it to be Friday.
This has pretty much been the longest week ever in the history of weeks. I’m still deep in post-Holiday recovery mode, feverishly trying to untangle the mess that I made of sleep, food, work, exercise and – real talk alert – my bank account. It’s a struggle.
Is anybody else feeling this way? Or is it just me?
Thankfully, it’s Thursday. And even better: it’s 30 Minute Thursday.
Since I know a lot of people (including myself) are trying to be more mindful about eating healthy these days, I decided to whip up a BIG, satisfying salad for this months installment of 30 Minute Thursday. No wimpy salads here! This Walnut-Crusted Chicken and Roasted Vegetable Salad is FULLY loaded (crunchy! salty! sweet! savory!) and can totally be eaten as a stand alone meal. It’s one irresistible bowl of goodness.
Because it’s winter and I’m craving warmer foods, I like to pile the chicken and roasted vegetables on top of my salad greens almost as soon as they come of the oven. But if that’s not your jam (I know some people don’t like mixing warm items in their salads), you can let them cool completely first. No big deal.
I buy chicken tenders (also sometimes labeled chicken strips) because they are already cut to size and cook up faster than full-sized chicken breasts. If you can’t find chicken tenders in your grocery store, you can buy chicken breasts and trim them yourself at home.
And make sure to check out the links below to see what my blogging friends are making for #30MinuteThursday this month!
Walnut-Crusted Chicken and Roasted Vegetable Salad
- For the Chicken
- 1 cup walnuts
- 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 1.25 lbs boneless, skinless chicken tenders/strips
- For the Salad
- 2 cups brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved
- 2 cups fingerling potatoes, cut in half lengthwise
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp. fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- 8 cups mixed greens
- 1 apple, cored and chopped
- 1/4 cup walnuts, roughly chopped
- For the Dressing
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tsp. maple syrup
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- Pre-heat your oven to 400 degrees.
- Prepare the chicken. In the bowl of your food processor with the blade attachment, pulse together the walnuts, bread crumbs, thyme leaves, lemon zest, salt and black pepper until the mixture resembles course sand. Transfer this mixture to a zip-closure bag. Add the chicken, seal the bag and shake until the chicken is well coated, separating the chicken pieces if they get stuck together. Lay the coated chicken out into a single layer in a 9 X 13 baking dish sprayed with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
- Prepare the vegetables. In a large bowl, toss together the brussels sprouts, potatoes, olive oil, lemon juice salt and pepper until the vegetables are well coated. Spread the vegetables out onto a large rimmed baking sheet.
- Transfer the coated chicken and prepared vegetables to your pre-heated oven to bake. Cook the chicken for approximately 15 minutes, until the juices run clear and the internal temperature measures 165 degrees Fahrenheit. Cook the vegetables for approximately 20 minutes, until the potatoes are easily pierced with a small knife and the brussels sprouts are blackened in a few spots. Once cooked, remove from the oven and set aside.
- Meanwhile, make the salad dressing. In a small bowl whisk together all of the ingredients for the dressing. Set aside.
- Assemble the salads. Toss the mixed greens with the dressing, using an amount of dressing that suits your taste preferences. Divide the dressed greens between four bowls. Top with the cooked chicken, prepared vegetables, chopped apple and walnuts, dividing the ingredients evenly between the four bowls. Serve immediately.
Teriyaki Chicken Stir-fry from Bake.Eat.Repeat.
30-Minute Three Bean Chipotle Quinoa Chili from Flavor the Moments
Cashew Chicken Lettuce Wraps with Orange-Ginger Sauce from Kristine’s Kitchen
Skinny Beef and Broccoli from Life Made Sweeter
30 Minute Chicken Stew from The Recipe Rebel
BBQ Chicken Quesadilla from Pumpkin ‘N Spice
30 Minute Pineapple Shrimp Fried Rice from Savory Nothings
30 Minute Black Bean Soup with Pico De Gallo from She Likes Food
30-Minute Chicken Basil Pesto Pasta Skillet from Whole and Heavenly Oven