Hi Friends! It’s been a while since I’ve been here. And trust me, I really wanted to be here with all of you. But life (i.e. technology) got the better of me this week. Me and computers don’t get along so well sometimes. Ugh.
Anyways, I think everything is back to normal now. So how was your Easter? Did you eat a lot of chocolate and jelly beans? I’m a sucker for those Cadbury Creme Eggs. I know they are totally weird. But I love them. Oh and I also LOVE black jelly beans. I think it’s great that nobody else likes them, because then I get to eat all the ones that my friends pick out of the bag. It’s a win-win situation!
So needless to say, I indulged in a few more sweets than I should have this past week. And I’m in desperate need of a salad. Or three. Yeah. I definitely need three salads.
To get myself back on track I created this simple and flavorful Spicy Southwest Chicken Salad with Peanut-Lime Dressing. Trust me when I say that this salad has got it going on. Crunchy, creamy, spicy, salty and nutty. Basically all the important adjectives that you could hope for in a salad. It’s like a party for your taste buds. And I know you’ll just love it!
Oh and don’t be scared away by the seemingly long list of ingredients. I swear this recipe is super easy to make!
Spicy Southwest Chicken Salad with Peanut-Lime Dressing
- For the Spice Rub
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp. dried thyme leaves
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
- For the Salad
- 1 1/2 tablespoons of the spice rub
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 hearts of romaine lettuce, chopped
- 1/2 cup black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup corn kernels
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 2 tablespoons diced red onion
- 2 tablespoons roasted peanuts
- Lime wedges for serving, if desired
- For the Dressing
- 2 tablespoons creamy peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- Grated zest from 1 lime
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce (can use Tamari if you're gluten free)
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- Make the spice rub. Stir together all of the ingredients in a small bowl until well combined. Measure out 1 1/2 tablespoons and place it in a separate small bowl. The remaining spice rub can be stored and saved for the next time you make this salad.
- Bake the chicken. Pre-heat your oven to 400 degrees. Add 2 teaspoons of olive oil to the reserved 1 1/2 tablespoons of spice rib, stirring until a paste forms. Then rub the paste over all sides of the chicken breasts. Place the coated chicken on a baking pan with a wire rack. Transfer to your pre-heated oven and bake for about 25 minutes, or until a thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the chicken breast registers 160 degrees Fahrenheit. Once cooked, remove the chicken from the oven and set it aside to rest for about 5 minutes before slicing.
- While the chicken is baking, make the dressing. Stir together all of the ingredients until well combined, adding more water as necessary to thin it to your desired consistency. Set aside.
- Assemble the salad. Toss the chopped romaine lettuce with the dressing, then divide it evenly between two plates. Top with the sliced chicken breasts, black beans, corn, sliced avocado, diced red onion and peanuts, dividing the toppings evenly between the two plates. Serve with lime wedges, if desired.