These Crispy Cheesy Everything Bagel Potato Skins are EVERYTHING!
I’ve been on a mission the past few weeks to come up with some new and creative ways to use my everything bagel seasoning blend. And I think I finally hit the jackpot with these potato skins. They are crispy, cheesy, flavorful and addictive (so watch out!). They are a fun appetizer or snack for movie night. But I also like serving them as a side dish to a grilled steak. There really is no wrong way to enjoy these potato skins!
The cooking technique is important here to ensure these Crispy Cheesy Everything Bagel Potato Skins come out just right. I know it’s tempting to take a shortcut and microwave the potatoes. But we’re going for exceptionally crispy skins here. And the microwave just won’t cut it. The oven really is the only way to go.
But I’m getting ahead of myself. To start, select Russet potatoes that are on the smaller size (about 5-7 ounces each). Scrub them clean under cold running water and pat them dry. Then rub the potatoes all over with olive oil, salt and black pepper, using your hands make sure every inch is coated. Place the potatoes on a roasting rack set inside a baking dish and bake them until they are fork tender, about 35-45 minutes. The roasting rack is key here. It keeps the potatoes elevated during baking, which results in crispy skins on all sides of the potatoes. No soft spots!
After the potatoes have baked and cooled, cut them in half horizontally and scoop out most of the potato flesh, reserving it for another use (I made potato gnocchi for the first time!). Brush the insides of the potato skins with a little olive oil and season with additional salt and black pepper. Then bake them again for another 10 minutes.
Finally, we’re at the fun part! Fill each potato skin with some shredded cheddar cheese (I like to use a sharp white cheddar) and a sprinkle of everything bagel seasoning blend. Then broil them until the cheese is fully melted and bubbling. And the edges are starting to take on just the teeniest amount of char.
Garnish them with a few sliced scallions before serving. And devour. Sharing is encouraged, but not required.
- 6-8 small/medium Russet potatoes, each between 5-7 ounces
- About 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- About 1 tablespoon salt, divided
- About 1 tablespoon black pepper, divided
- 6 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded
- About 1 1/2 tablespoons everything bagel seasoning blend
- 2 scallions, trimmed and sliced
- Pre-heat your oven to 425 degrees.
- Scrub the potatoes under cold running water and pat dry. Pierce each potato several times with the tines of a fork.
- Using about 1 1/2 tablespoon of the olive oil, rub oil all over the outsides of the potatoes. Then rub them with about 3 teaspoons each of the salt and black pepper. Place the potatoes on a roasting rack set inside a baking dish. Then transfer them to your pre-heated oven and bake for 35-45 minutes, or until the potatoes can be easily pierced with a fork. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool.
- Once the potatoes are cool enough to handle, cut them in half horizontally. Use a spoon to scoop out the flesh, leaving about 1/4-inch attached to the skins (this will help the potato skins retain their shape). Reserve the scooped potato flesh for another use.
- Place the potato skins back on their roasting rack cut-side up. Brush the insides of the potato skins with some of the remaining olive oil and sprinkle with the remaining salt and black pepper. Then transfer the potato skins back to your pre-heated oven for 10 minutes. Remove and set aside.
- Pre-heat your broiler to high. Fill each potato skin with about 1 tablespoon of the shredded cheese. Then sprinkle with about 1/4 tsp. of the everything bagel seasoning blend. Place under your broiler for 1-2 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and bubbling. Remove and set aside.
- Transfer the potato skins to a serving dish. Top with sliced scallions. Enjoy immediately.