As promised (or threatened?), I’m back today with another recipe using kumquats.
I’ve been working diligently on that case that my Mom gave me a couple of weeks ago. But progress seems slow. I even tried to give some away. But people stare at you funny when you try to force a zip-closure bag full of miniature looking oranges onto them.
Oh well. I can’t really complain. Kumquats are only available around here for a short period of time, so I’m happy to indulge in them while they’re in season.
The other seasonal item that I’m binging on right now is asparagus. And it seems that you guys are doing the same. Because when I asked you to tell me what Spring vegetable was your favorite, the results came back loud and clear. Asparagus takes the cake.
So armed with the knowledge that you all love asparagus, and my bottomless case of kumquats, I created this easy recipe for Roasted Asparagus with Sautéed Shallots and Kumquats. You only need seven ingredients for this dish. And about 15 minutes of time. Easy peasy. It’s vegan and gluten free, too. Try it out as a side dish for Easter or Mother’s Day brunch. Or use it to top grain bowls, savory waffles, etc. It’s completely addicting. I ate the entire pan by myself in just two sittings!
I’m sharing this delicious recipe as part of our monthly seasonal produce round-up organized by Becky from Vintage Mixer. Check out Becky’s April Produce Guide to learn about which fruits and vegetables are best to be enjoyed this month. You’ll also find plenty of recipe ideas, too. And for additional April inspiration (say that five times fast!), click on the links below to see what new creations some of my blogging friends whipped up this month.
- 1 lb asparagus, bottom 1-inch trimmed and discarded
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 1 cup sliced shallots (from about 2 medium shallots)
- 1 cup sliced kumquats
- 1 tablespoon fresh dill, chopped
- Pre-heat your oven to 400 degrees. Spread the asparagus out onto a large rimmed baking sheet. Drizzle with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil and sprinkle with the salt and black pepper. Transfer to your oven and roast for 10-12 minutes. Remove and cover to keep warm.
- Meanwhile, heat the remaining tablespoon of olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the shallot and cook, stirring frequently, until softened and browned, about 5 minutes. Add the sliced kumquats and cook for 1 minute more. Remove the skillet from the heat.
- To serve, place the asparagus on a serving plate. Top the asparagus with the shallot-kumquat mixture. Then sprinkle with the fresh dill. Enjoy immediately.
April Eat Seasonal Recipes
Sugar Snap Pea and Bacon Salad by Completely Delicious
BBQ Cauliflower & Chickpea Veggie Burgers by She Likes Food
Asparagus Grilled Cheese by Vintage Mixer
Frittata with Ham and Asparagus by Healthy Seasonal Recipes
Easy Homemade Guacamole by Joy Food Sunshine
Sorghum Vegetable Salad with Cumin-Lime Vinaigrette by Cafe Johnsonia
Mushroom Rosemary Olive Oil Bread by Cookin’ Canuck
Roasted Asparagus with Balsamic, Gorgonzola and Walnuts by Aggie’s Kitchen
Polenta Cauliflower Torta with Roasted Asparagus by Letty’s Kitchen
Herbed Potato Rösti with Peas, Shallots, and Bacon by Food for My Family
Maple-Glazed Sweet Potatoes with Walnut-Bacon Crumble by Simple Bites
Creamy Pasta with Salmon and Asparagus by Foodie Crush
Ultimate Veggie Sandwich with Lemon Herb Cream Cheese by Flavor the Moments
Spring Mint & Papaya Batido by Suitcase Foodist
Skillet Shrimp with Lime and Green Curry Compound Butter by Kitchen Confidante
Loaded Guacamole Tacos by Mountain Mama Cooks