Happy first official day of Summer!
This past weekend was absolutely gorgeous. I was basically poolside the entire time. Only stopping to mix beertails, grill kebabs and watch a few episodes of Orange Is the New Black (I’m trying really hard not to binge!). Life can be pretty good sometimes.
Now I’m easing back into Monday with a longer than life to-do list and a big pile of laundry. Thankfully there’s ice cream to make the transition a little bit sweeter.
So…tahini-flavored ice cream. Are you down? Or does that sound totally weird to you?
Admittedly, I wasn’t sure myself initially. I was worried it might be too savory. And that the texture might be a little bit off as well. But I only needed to take one bite of this cool, creamy concoction to be completely sold on the idea. And I’m hoping that my opinion carries a little bit of weight around here, and you’ll be willing to give it a try.
Like a peanut butter-flavored ice cream, this tahini-flavored ice cream does have a bit of a savory, nutty undertone. But it’s most definitely still dessert. Especially with a few chunks of chocolate chip cookies weaved into the ice cream base (I used store bought cookies, but you could certainly make your own). It’s a fun flavor if you’re looking for something unique, but not totally over-the-top weird (I spotted dill pickle ice cream the other day…um NO!)
I’m sharing this Tahini Ice Cream with Chocolate Chip Cookies as part of Ice Cream Week (hooray!), which is being organized by my talented friend Amanda from A Cookie Named Desire. Dozens of bloggers will be sharing ice cream recipes throughout the week, and you can check them all out here on Amanda’s site. I hope you made some extra space in your freezer…
Oh and there are prizes, too! One lucky winner will win a bunch of ice cream related goodies, including items from Rodelle, Cuisinart, Zeroll and Tovolo. You can get all the details of the giveaway AND enter to win on Amanda’s site. Go do it! And good luck!
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened at room temperature
- 4 ounces tahini
- 3/4 cups sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon vodka, optional
- 1 1/2 cups chopped chocolate chip cookies
- Before starting, make sure the canister of your ice cream maker is frozen. To freeze completely, the canister should be in the freezer for at least 6 hours.
- Make the ice cream base. In a heavy bottom saucepan over medium heat, whisk together the milk, heavy cream, cream cheese, tahini (make sure you stir it well before using it) and sugar until well combined and smooth. The mixture will appear lumpy at first, but it will come together after a few minutes of whisking and warming. Do not let the mixture come to a boil. Once smooth, remove from the heat and transfer the ice cream base to a clean bowl. Stir in the vanilla extract. Cover and refrigerate until completely chilled, at least 4 hours or up to 24 hours.
- Churn the ice cream. Pour the chilled ice cream base into the canister of your ice cream maker and churn until the mixture is nearly frozen and the consistency of soft serve, about 20 minutes. Add the vodka, if using, and churn for an additional minute. Then add the chopped cookies and churn until they are well distributed.
- Transfer the ice cream to a freezer safe container. Cover with plastic wrap, pushing the plastic all the way down to the surface of the ice cream. Freeze until firm, about 3 hours, before scooping and serving. The ice cream can be stored in your freezer for several days.
Oh wowzers!!!! This ice cream is simply calling to me! I already love tahini and ice cream separately so putting them together is such an obvious answer to save this Monday!
Thanks, Tori! You rock!
Hooray for poolside kebabs, beertails and Monday Ice Cream! Good grief, I swear Ice Cream makes Monday’s tolerable… I’m sneaking a bite as I type! :0 . I say your opinion pulls a lot of weight, my dear. Now, about this tahini ice cream; I’ve been seeing tahini pop up in places I’d never imagine, like cookies and other sweet applications. Surprising yes, but the more I see it, the more I want to try it. Dill pickle ice cream? Not so much. Love this Liz! 😀 Thank you for your inspiration!
I’m finding tahini to be much more versatile than I originally thought. Basically, anywhere you use peanut butter/almond butter I think you can use tahini. At least, that’s my inspiration for trying it out as of lately. XOXO!
Confession: I’ve never really loved tahini (I know!), but I could probably get behind it in an ice cream! Also, there are cookies involved so I’m IN! xo
What? I’m shocked!
I feel ya on the Orange is the New Black binge! I say we go overboard on the ice cream instead!
That’s a good plan, Lauren!
Sounds like you had a kick arse weekend, Liz! Woot woot to that. Umm this ice cream does not sound weird at all. It sounds AMAZING!!! I’m loving the tahini in here – seriously you are a GENIUS! I’m thinking I need a gallon of this immediately. Because Monday. Right? Pinned! Cheers, girlfriend!
Yes, we need 2 gallons. One for me and one for you! 🙂
I totally had a similar ice cream shoot experience – turned into one big ice cream puddle in a matter of 10 minutes! I’m a sucker for anything tahini lately and this looks DIVINE!
Always seems to be the hottest days when I decided to photograph ice cream!
I am all down for a tahini ice cream!! Especially one that looks so creamy and dreamy as this! 😉 Also – I’m quite jealous of your weekend, I would’ve loved to have been poolside in this heat. Alas, I don’t have a pool. Maybe one day though! 🙂
Come visit and we’ll go for a swim. And then get ice cream afterwards!
Sounds like your weekend couldn’t have been better Liz! What an awesome idea to add tahini. I wouldn’t have thought of that!! Can’t wait to give it a try! Thanks for sharing!
Thanks, Mary Ann!
Tahini has gone gangbusters in everything sweet! This does look tempting especially curious with the little bit of vodka…Happy feasting!
Thank you! You can’t really taste the vodka. It just helps to keep the ice cream creamy in the freezer!
such flavor burst going on there with tahini.. vodka!!! Happy Summer 🙂
A little vodka is always a good idea! 🙂
Oh man, I wish I was poolside too… beertails and kebabs are amazing!! Not as amazing as this tahini ice cream though. I love peanut butter in ice cream, so tahini sounds even better. Especially with the chocolate chip cookies… oh my gosh, I am in love! Thank you so much for joining me this week! xxxx
Thanks for organizing, Amanda! You rock! Come and visit and we’ll eat ice cream by the pool!
This looks incredible Liz! I never thought of Tahini + ice cream, but why not? It totally reminds me of Japanese black sesame ice cream that I love….. what a great way to kick off the summer! Yay!
Yes, totally! I haven’t tried black sesame ice cream, but it’s on my list!
Oh my gosh, tahini is seriously one of my most favourite ingredients. I love using it sweet too. This ice cream is calling my name Liz!!
Thanks, Jessica! I love experimenting with tahini in sweet recipes, too! I hope you get the chance to try out the ice cream!
A little vodka is always a good idea!