Last month I FINALLY bought myself a waffle maker. It’s something that has been on my wish list for a while now. But waffle makers can be surprisingly expensive, so I never got around to coughing up the cash for one. Then I happen to be in Williams and Sonoma when they were on a sale AND I had a gift card left over from Christmas (gasp!) that was burning a hole in my wallet. So I decided it was a sign and I went for it. And I’m super happy that I did. Because now I’m eating ALL the waffles ALL the time. Breakfast, brunch and even dessert! There are no restrictions on what time of day waffles can be enjoyed.
I wanted to summer-ize (is this a word?) some waffles, and what better way to do that than with ripe, juicy peaches. I started by cooking down the peaches with some maple syrup, cinnamon, vanilla extract and a little bourbon (hooray!) until they were nice and soft. Then I stirred a small amount of this peach mixture into my sour cream waffle batter, reserving the rest to use as a topping for the waffles. So incredibly delicious. And definitely worth going out and buying a waffle maker for.
Try my Peaches and Cream Waffles out this weekend and then come back and tell me about it!
Recipe for Sour Cream Waffles slightly adapted from The Sugar Hit
- For the Peach Topping
- 2 lbs peaches (about 4 medium), pitted and peeled
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 2 tablespoons bourbon
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- For the Sour Cream Waffles
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup milk
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1/3 cup peach topping
- Make the peach topping. Chop the peaches into 1/2-inch chunks. Add the chopped peaches to a medium saucepan along with the water, maple syrup, vanilla extract, cinnamon and salt. Heat over medium-high heat, stirring frequently for about 10-15 minutes or until the peaches have softened. Stir in the bourbon and cook for 1-2 minutes more. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Make the waffles. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Begin incorporating in the eggs, vanilla extract and sour cream. Then slowly whisk in the milk and then the butter, mixing until everything is incorporated. Stir 1/3 cup of the peach topping into the waffle batter.
- Pre-heat your oven to the lowest temperature. Spray your waffle iron with non-stick cooking spray and then turn it on to the medium-high heat setting. Once heated, scoop the batter into your waffle iron (I used about 1/3 cup of batter in each 4-inch well of my waffle iron) and close the lid. Cook for 3-4 minutes, or until the waffles are golden brown and crisp. You may have to adjust the amount of batter and cooking time, depending on the type of waffle iron you have. Carefully remove the waffles and transfer them to your oven to keep warm (I like to place them directly on the oven racks) until you have finished making all the waffles..
- To serve, swirl the remaining 1/2 cup of sour cream into the peach topping. Then dollop on top of the warm waffles. Serve immediately with a dusting of powdered sugar or a drizzle of maple syrup, if desired.
1. To freeze these waffles, lay the cooled waffles in a single layer on a baking sheet and place in your freezer until firm. Once frozen, you can transfer the waffles to a ziplock freezer bag. To thaw, re-heat the frozen waffles in your toaster or oven.
I have just declared that this will be my Sunday morning breakfast! Local peaches are just perfect right now, so time for me to break out my waffle make (that I don’t use nearly often enough!) and do this. Great photos!
Thanks Jennifer! Peaches ARE so perfect right now!
You’re going to go crazy with that waffle maker. Trust me! These are so great, can’t wait to try them!!
Thanks Matt! I hope you like them!
Yum!! Peaches are the perfect way to summer-ize waffles! (I’m gonna say that’s a word). Now I just need to dig my waffle maker out of the very top shelf I can’t ever reach…
Ha! That sounds like me. I have a little step stool that I have to use to reach mine!
Oh my! These look heavenly… pinning 😉
Yeah for a waffle maker! We had one until my husband abducted it for work and made these “Can You Waffle It” videos. He’s gone waffle mad, I tell you: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOGBH3A8Bhc
That was so funny! Thanks for sharing!
These sound awesome!
I love waffles and love peaches, so these sound absolutely amazing to me!! Pinned!
Thank you, Glory!
Oh my goodness….sounds so delicious! Love the idea of the bourbon peach topping. Yum!!
Thank you! I hope you try it out!
These look amazing! What a great way to wake up in the morning!
Thank you so much!