This post was originally published here on March 25, 2014. I’ve since updated the photographs and text. And I added some brûléed bananas for topping. Because why not, right?
I did a quick pole on Instagram stories back in December about breakfast preferences (savory vs. sweet), and I was shocked to see the results revealed a dead split down the middle. I myself will take a sweet breakfast any day over a savory breakfast (you know my dislike of eggs!), but I was sure that I was in the minority.
Guess that’s why they say never make assumptions!
So, since you guys are equally interested in sweet breakfast options as you are in savory breakfast options, I figured this would be an excellent time to re-vamp this old post from 2014. Because this Mocha Hazelnut Oatmeal with Brûléed Bananas is DEFINITELY taking a walk on the sweet side of life. Heck, you could even call it a “dessert oatmeal”, if you were being generous. And frankly, it never got much love (probably because the photos were sub-par). So I wanted to give it new life!
This Mocha Hazelnut Oatmeal with Brûléed Bananas is by no means boring. In fact, it combines some of my favorite ingredients EVER: chocolate, hazelnut spread, coffee and caramelized bananas. It’s decadent, crave-worthy, stick-to-your-ribs hearty and totally worthy of weekend breakfast status. Oatmeal doesn’t have to just be for rushed mid-week mornings.
Caramelizing the bananas is an additional step (but worth it, duh). But the rest of the recipe isn’t any harder than making plain oatmeal. I simply stir in all the ingredients while the oatmeal is cooking on the stove. Easy peasy. I like to make my oatmeal with a mix of half water and half milk, but you can make the “base” liquid be whatever you want. Non-dairy milk options work well here, too! Oh and don’t forget a light sprinkle of flakey sea salt on top. It totally makes all the difference!
For the Oatmeal
- Scant 2 cups milk or water
- 1 tablespoon chocolate hazelnut spread (like Nutella)
- 2 tsp. brown sugar
- 1 tsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 tsp. instant espresso powder
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 1 cup old-fashioned oats
For the Bananas
- 1-2 bananas, peeled and sliced lengthwise
- Brown sugar
- Chopped hazelnuts
- Chopped dark chocolate
- Flaky sea salt
- To make the oatmeal, bring the milk or water to a simmer over medium heat. Stir in the chocolate hazelnut spread, brown sugar, cocoa powder, espresso powder and salt. Then stir in the oats. Cook the oats, stirring occasionally, for 5-8 minutes. Remove from the heat, cover to keep warm and set aside.
- To brûlée the bananas, place the bananas cut-side up on a rimmed baking sheet. Sprinkle the cut surfaces with a thin, even layer of brown sugar. Then use a kitchen torch to melt the sugar. It will bubble and turn deeply brown in places. If you don’t have a kitchen torch, you can place the baking sheet under your broiler to achieve a similar result. Just be sure to monitor the bananas closely so they don’t burn.
- To serve, divide the oatmeal between two bowls. Top with the brûléed bananas, chopped hazelnuts, chopped chocolate and a sprinkle of flaky sea salt. Enjoy immediately.
Recipe inspired from The Kitchen
All images and text ©