Hi Friends! I’m back after a bit of a blogging break.
So first things first, Happy New Year!!!
How’s your 2018 turning out so far? Are you excited, scared, lukewarm? Did you set any new intentions or goals for yourself?
I always like the fresh start that a new year provides. And while I don’t make resolutions, per se, I do enjoy letting my thoughts center and solidify more deeply on what I hope to accomplish in the next cycle.
This year, I’ve got some big changes coming up on Floating Kitchen. The most immediate and noticeable change that will be happening is a complete website redesign. I’m working with Purr Design on a shiny new logo and custom website (both of which are much needed and long overdue at this point), and we expect to launch sometime mid-February. I’m excited to give the blog a facelift. And to be able to provide YOU with a more user-friendly experience!
The second major thing that’s happening is a move and a new business spin-off. I’m not ready to reveal too many specifics yet, but let’s just say that Floating Kitchen will eventually be an actual place that you can come and visit. I hate to keep you hanging with the lack of details, but I promise to share more about this new project as soon as I’m able too. In the meantime, be sure to keep up with my Instagram stories, because I’m going to be posting some sneak peaks here and there over the course of the next few months. Maybe you’ll catch a glimpse of what’s to come!
But enough about all this stuff. Let’s talk about this Roasted Beet and Radicchio Salad with Wild Rice and Tangerines.
Isn’t it a total looker? Yeah, I think so too. Packed with some of my favorite ingredients (I’m obsessed with golden beets these days!), all the colors of the rainbow and a variety of tastes and textures, it’s a salad that doesn’t feel like a salad. So whether you’re trying to stick to a dieting resolution, or you just like beautiful, delicious and nourishing food, this recipe is for you.
Wild rice is one of those grains that I tend to forget about. I typically reach for quinoa (or just omit the grains all together). But in the recent weeks, I’ve discovered a new love and appreciation for wild rice. It has a hearty “chew”. And it helps to make my salads feel more substantial, which is something I think is important during the cold weather months. No one wants a sad plate of limp greens in the middle of January. So stand with me and just say “NO!” to wimpy salads!
Radicchio is another ingredient that I don’t use very often, so I took a few cues from this genius recipe on Food52 and roasted half of it, while keeping the other half raw. It cuts down on some of the bitterness of the radicchio, but still allows for a few fresh, crunchy bites. Definitely a technique worth trying out!
If you’re looking for more way to use January produce, check out the links below to see what recipes some of my blogging friends have created this month. And join us in eating seasonally by sharing your #eatseasonal recipes on social media!
For the Salad
- 1 lb golden beets (medium sized), peeled and trimmed
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 1 head radicchio, chopped
- 1 cup cooked wild rice
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1/3 cup sliced almonds
- 2 tangerines, peeled and segmented
- Thinly shaved pecorino cheese
For the Dressing
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup fresh squeezed tangerine juice
- 2 tablespoons peeled and minced shallots
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- Pre-heat your oven to 425 degrees.
- Tear off a large piece of aluminum foil and fold it in half to double it. Add the beets to the aluminum foil, then drizzle them with the olive oil and sprinkle with the salt and black pepper. Fold up the edges of the aluminum foil to create a packet for the beets, then place this packet directly on the oven rack in your pre-heated oven. Roast the beets until they can be easily pierced with a small paring knife, about 50-60 minutes. Carefully remove the packet from your oven and let the beets cool slightly. Slice the cooled beets into wedges. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, make the dressing by whisking together all the ingredients until well combined. Set aside.
- Toss about half of the chopped radicchio with 1 tablespoon of the dressing. Spread this out onto a rimmed baking sheet and roast in your pre-heated oven for 5 minutes. Remove and set aside.
- Add the remaining radicchio, wild rice, parsley, almonds and tangerines to a large bowl. Drizzle with the remaining dressing and toss gently to combine. Then fold in the roasted radicchio and beets.
- Divide the salad between plates/bowls. Top with some shaved pecorino cheese. Serve immediately.
All images and text ©
January Eat Seasonal Recipes
Flavor the Moments — Roasted Butternut Squash Fajitas with Pomegranate Guacamole
Letty’s Kitchen — Vegetarian Greek Egg Lemon Soup with Orzo
Joy Food Sunshine — Roasted Sweet Potato and Black Bean Vegetable Tacos
Healthy Seasonal Recipes — Roasted Garlic Cheddar Soup