If you had told me 20 years ago that I would one day describe a brussels sprout side dish as “dazzling”, I would have laughed in your face. But today, things are a bit different. And I’m happy to declare that these Roasted Brussels Sprouts and Red Onions with Pecans and Dates are indeed dazzling!
This festive side dish would be perfect for Thanksgiving or Christmas (I said the “c” word!). It’s vegan, gluten-free and full of flavors and textures. AND it’s super easy. It only requires one cutting board and one rimmed baking sheet. That’s it! I don’t know about you guys, but for me, less dishes means a less stressful Holiday. So I’m always angling to dirty as few dishes as possible.
To prepare this dish, start by tossing the brussels sprouts and red onion in some olive oil, salt and pepper. Then roast them in your pre-heated oven for 20 minutes. After 20 minutes, add in the pecans, dates, balsamic vinegar and maple syrup. Then finish roasting everything together for an additional 10 minutes. Transfer to a serving dish, top with some pomegranate arils for a pop of color and crunch and that’s it! The brussels sprouts and red onion will be perfectly cooked. And the pecans will get nice and toasty without burning. Win, win.
The dates might be one of my favorite parts about these Roasted Brussels Sprouts and Red Onions with Pecans and Dates. I love using them in savory dishes for a little bit of unexpected sweetness. If you don’t have dates, you could substitute them with dried cranberries, chopped apricots or almost any dried fruit.
- 1 lb brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved
- 1/2 red onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 1 cup pecans
- 1/2 cup chopped dates
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/4 cup pomegranate arils
- Pre-heat your oven to 400 degrees.
- Add the brussels sprouts and red onion to a large rimmed baking sheet. Drizzle with the olive oil and sprinkle with the salt and pepper, tossing to coat. Then spread the vegetables out into a single layer and transfer the baking sheet to your pre-heated oven. Roast for 20 minutes.
- Remove the baking sheet from your oven. Add the pecans and dates to the baking sheet and stir to combine them with the brussels sprouts and red onion. Then drizzle everything with the balsamic vinegar and maple syrup. Return the baking sheet to your oven and roast for an additional 10 minutes.
- Remove the baking sheet from your oven. Transfer the roasted brussels sprout mixture to a serving plate. Top with pomegranate arils. Serve warm.