This post was originally published here on October 24, 2016. I’ve since updated the text and photographs.
Tomorrow we turn the calendar to November. And I think the internet will go into full-fledged Holiday mode. It will be a steady stream of mashed potatoes, green bean casseroles and exquisitely decorated pies and cookies for the next two months.
So I figured it would be best to finish out the month of October with one final recipe for an easy, weeknight dinner.
Not that I have any qualms about making an entire meal out of Holiday side dishes and desserts alone. In fact, I may even prefer that on many occasions! But it’s nice to have some options.
This Chicken and White Bean Chili with Pumpkin is hearty and satisfying. And it’s a great way to highlight fresh pumpkin in a savory dish. There are a lot of different pumpkin varieties that can be used for this recipe. I usually opt for a Sugar Pie Pumpkin or a Fairytale Pumpkin, because they are tasty AND easy to find. But you have lots of choices…especially if you include other Winter squashes in your search. This guide is a fantastic resource for helping to identify and select an edible pumpkin/squash variety for you needs. I highly recommend it!
This Chicken and White Bean Chili with Pumpkin uses one of my favorite kitchen shortcuts: a grocery store rotisserie chicken. In my opinion, these are one of the best money AND time savers you can purchase. It helps make this chili recipe come together in just 45 minutes. So you can have dinner done in a flash!
My favorite part about chili is always the toppings. It’s a fun and easy way to customize your bowl. I always reach for avocado and tortilla chips! What are your favorite chili toppings?
For the Chili:
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 red onion, peeled and chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 1 jalapeño pepper, minced
- 2 tablespoons pumpkin purée
- 2 tsp. ground ginger
- 2 tsp. ground oregano
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. ground chili powder
- 1/2 tsp. ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups peeled and cubed pumpkin (about 1-inch cubes)
- 2 (15-ounce) cans white beans, rinsed and drained
- 4 cups cooked, cubed/shredded chicken
- 1 tablespoon agave nectar
- Juice from 1 lime
- Fresh cilantro, minced
- Red onion, minced
- Avocado, diced
- Roasted and salted pepitas
- Warm the olive oil in a large pot set over medium-high heat. Add the red onion and cook, stirring occasionally, for 4-5 minutes. Stir in the garlic and jalapeño pepper and cook for 2 minutes more. Then add the pumpkin purée, all the spices and the salt and cook, stirring constantly, until very fragrant, about 1-2 minutes.
- Add the chicken broth, pumpkin and beans. Bring the chili up to a boil, scrapping the bottom of the pot with a wooden spoon to loosen any browned bits. Then turn the heat down to maintain a simmer. Cook, uncovered for about 15-20 minutes, or until the pumpkin is tender. Add the chicken and simmer for an additional 3-5 minutes. Stir in the agave nectar and lime juice.
- Top with fresh cilantro, minced red onion, chopped avocado and pepitas before for serving, if desired.
- Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in your refrigerator for 2-3 days.
Recipe adapted from Gluten Free Goddess.