You guys! This weekend = mind blowing. It was crazy gorgeous here. I guess New England finally decided to cash in the winning lottery ticket it’s been sitting on for the past several months. Sunshine for everyone!
It was so warm, we even busted out the popsicles. For breakfast. Shhh…don’t tell anyone.
In addition to popsicles, there were a lot of avocados being consumed. Because I did that stupid thing that I do sometimes where I get all excited for produce that is perfectly ripe and on sale and then I come home with like 57 of something. Yeah. That happened. So I needed to get creative with some avocados.
Since dishes make me want to cry, I went with the whole “edible bowl” theme and stuffed some baked avocados with sliced strawberries, scallions, goat cheese and fresh basil. And can I just say that it was a total WIN! Massive flavor explosion and also really fun and adorable. And we all know that adorable food just tastes better. #fact.
These Baked Avocados with Strawberry Salsa would be perfect for a party or barbecue. Or even for breakfast, if you’re an avocado-for-breakfast-eater that is.
Oh and if you REALLY want to cut out on the dishes, try eating them with tortilla chips for scooping. You won’t even have to dirty an extra spoon!
Baked Avocados with Strawberry Salsa
- 3 avocados
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup strawberries, stemmed and quartered
- 2 scallions, white and light green parts thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons goat cheese crumbles
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- Pre-heat your oven to 400 degrees.
- Cut the avocados in half. Remove and discard the seeds. To help the avocados remain upright during cooking, create a flat surface for them to rest on by slicing a small area (about the size of a postage stamp) off the back side of each half, being careful not to cut too deeply into the avocado. Place the avocados on a rimmed baking sheet, flesh side up. Rub a small amount of olive oil over the flesh. Transfer to your pre-heated oven and bake for 8 minutes.
- While the avocados are baking make the strawberry salsa. Gently mix together the strawberries and the remaining ingredients in a small bowl. Set aside.
- After 8 minutes, remove the avocados from the oven. Carefully fill each half with some of the strawberry salsa. Place the avocados back in the oven for an additional 2-3 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and serve immediately. These are best when eaten while still slightly warm.