I’m going be short and sweet today folks. I’m just stopping in quickly to bring you the most perfect salad for your Holiday table. It’s crisp, refreshing and hello – red and green. It doesn’t get much more festive than that!
I know Christmas is all about the cookies. But sometimes a girl just needs a salad. Because a big crunchy salad totally cancels out all the cookies. Right? Right? I hope so…
This salad tastes best when you give the cranberries and apple-walnut mixture a few hours to sit and marinate. So it does require a bit of pre-planning. BUT that also means it’s the perfect salad for when you are entertaining because you can get all the pieces together hours in advance, then just plate it out when you are ready to serve. Normally I’m a “throw all the ingredients in a big bowl” type of gal. But in this case, I think it’s worth making the separate layers for a stunning visual effect.
Recipe from Creme De Colorado Cookbook
- 1 1/2 cups fresh cranberries, thawed if frozen
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup walnuts, roughly chopped
- 2 Granny Smith apples, cored and chopped into bite size pieces
- 1/4 cup sliced scallions, white and light green parts only
- 2 hearts of romaine lettuce, roughly chopped
- In your food processor with the blade attachment, pulse the cranberries until they are coarsely chopped. Transfer them to a small bowl and stir in the sugar. Cover and refrigerate at least 4 hours or up to overnight.
- In a medium bowl, combine the lime juice and Dijon mustard. Slowly whisk in the olive oil. Add the walnuts, apples and scallions. Stir to coat and then cover and refrigerate at least 1 hour or up to overnight.
- To serve, line a large plate or bowl with the chopped romaine lettuce. Spoon the apple-walnut mixture over the romaine. Then top with the chopped cranberries. Enjoy!
Trackback URL for this post