This post was originally published here on September 22, 2014. I’ve since updated the photographs and text. I hope you give it a try!
Fall has officially arrived. But it sure as heck doesn’t feel that way.
We got hit with a swath of hot, humid air over the weekend. And while I totally took advantage of it (boating, patio beers and beach walks galore!), it did kind of put a damper on my cooking plans.
Fall baking will have to wait until the temperatures cool down enough for me to be able to tolerate turning on my oven for an extended period of time. But these carrots, well, they needed to get cooked. Another day or two and they might have been sentenced to die a slow death in the crisper drawer.
Roasted root vegetables are to Fall as tomato salads are to Summer. They are staples. I make them as often as I can. And I never seem to tire of them.
I can easily consume a whole sheet pan of roasted vegetables in one sitting. Which is an achievement that I’m not ashamed of.
These Honey Roasted Carrots are one of those simple side dishes that I make and serve all the time. I hardly even have to give the recipe a second thought at this point. The short ingredient list (only 5!) and easy preparation method has become second nature. And of course, they taste pretty amazing, too. They hit all the magical notes: earthy, salty, sweet and herby. What more could you ask for? Really?
If the carrots are very large/thick, you can cut them in half lengthwise. But I try to purchase smaller ones, if possible, so I can leave them whole. I think it results in a much prettier presentation (along with leaving a tiny bit of green at the ends for a bit of color contrast!).
What’s your favorite root vegetable to roast up during the cooler months?
- 1 lb carrots, peeled, washed and greens trimmed
- 1-2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves
- 1-2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1-2 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- Pre-heat your oven to 425 degrees.
- Add the carrots and thyme to a large rimmed baking sheet. Drizzle with the olive oil and honey, tossing to coat. Then sprinkle with the salt.
- Transfer the baking sheet to your pre-heated oven and roast the carrots for 20-30 minutes, or until they are tender and browned in some spots, stirring them gently once halfway through. Remove from the oven and set aside. Transfer to a plate and serve immediately.
- Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in your refrigerator for 2-3 days.
All images and text ©