This post was originally published here September 6, 2013. I’ve since adjust the recipe slightly. And I’ve updated the text and photographs to reflect those changes. This is one of my go-to salads for Fall and Winter. I hope you try it!
It’s no secret that I love salads. And while I have many tried and true favorites here on the blog, this Everyday Kale and Apple Salad with Maple-Mustard Dressing is the one that I feel holds the most significance. I’ve been making and eating this salad for close to 10 years now. And I’ve probably shared this salad with more of my family and friends than any other recipe here on Floating Kitchen.
In fact, this Everyday Kale and Apple Salad with Maple-Mustard Dressing has even become the official salad that’s served at our Thanksgiving dinner. It’s that good.
Basically, this salad is kind of a big deal.
The recipe is very simple, which is why I feel confident using the word “everyday” in the title. Because yes, you can make this salad any day of the week. And yes, you can serve it for any occasion (or for any “non-occasion”). The base of this salad is just three ingredients: torn kale leaves, sliced apple (I highly recommend using a sweet variety like Honeycrisp) and shredded carrots. The dressing is a sweet and tangy blend of a few pantry staples. And the finishing touch is a sprinkling of chopped walnuts (almonds or pecans can be used in a pinch).
This salad has great chew and crunch. And it manages to maintain both of those characteristics even after a whole day of being dressed. Which is one of the many reasons why this Everyday Kale and Apple Salad with Maple-Mustard Dressing has made it into our Thanksgiving repertoire. Because I can toss it all together in the morning and completely forget about it until just before it’s time to eat. Winning.
If you haven’t tried my Everyday Kale and Apple Salad with Maple-Mustard Dressing before, now is the perfect time to start. It’s a great “transition” recipe for Summer to Fall. And I know you’ll become as smitten with it as I am!
Everyday Kale and Apple Salad with Maple-Mustard Dressing
- 8 cups packed kale leaves, torn
- 1 large apple, thinly sliced
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- Add the kale, apple slices and shredded carrots to a large bowl. Set aside.
- Whisk together the olive oil, maple syrup, mustard, lemon juice, salt and black pepper. Pour this dressing over the salad and toss until everything is well coated. Let the salad sit at room temperature for 10-15 minutes.
- Before serving, add the walnuts and toss to combine.
- Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in your refrigerator for up to a day.
a nice salad, love the maple-dijon dressing, nice contrast and great flavors and ingredients, thank you!
Yes I hope you try it!
OMG I am totally making this tonight! Thanks for the dinner inspiration…
I hope you love it!