Hi Friends! I hope you all had a fabulous Christmas! Was Santa good to you? Have you come down off your cookie-induced sugar high yet?
I think I’m still somewhere floating in the sugary clouds. I ate A LOT of cookies. Way too many to count. And even if I had counted, I certainly wouldn’t put that number down in writing for the whole world to see.
So I’m popping in real quick today to bring you this Warm Spinach Salad with Roasted Grapes and Sweet Potatoes. It’s the perfect recipe if you’re feeling the need to hit the “reset” button. And it would also be a great salad to add to your New Year’s Eve menu, if you just so happen to be hosting a party (or going to a party!).
The inspiration for this dish came from one of my favorite spinach salad recipes from the archives. I added some roasted sweet potatoes to make it a bit more filling (this could totally pass as a “main meal” type of salad). And I decided to give it a bit of a New Year’s Eve twist with the addition of roasted grapes. Did you know that grapes are one of the traditional and/or lucky foods that you’re suppose to consume on New Year’s Eve? As it goes, at midnight you eat twelve grapes, one to symbolize each of the twelve months in the upcoming year. You’re suppose to finish all twelve grapes before the last stroke of midnight, which apparently is a task that’s easier said than done. I think I’ll give it a try this year!
You want the spinach in this recipe to wilt slightly, so be sure to scrape in the roasted sweet potatoes and grapes (and any olive oil from the pan), while they are still warm.
I hope you all have a fun and safe New Year’s Eve. I’ll be sipping on these Grapefruit and Sage Champagne Cocktails. If you haven’t tried them yet, it’s the perfect time to do so!
See you in 2017!
- 2 cups red seedless grapes
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and sliced into thin triangles
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, minced
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 8 cups baby spinach
- 2-4 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup hazelnuts, chopped
- 1/2 cup crumbled goat cheese
- Pre-heat your oven to 400 degrees. In a large bowl, toss together the grapes, sweet potatoes, olive oil, maple syrup, rosemary and salt until the grapes and sweet potatoes are evenly coated with the olive oil. Transfer to a large rimmed baking sheet and roast in your pre-heated oven for 20 minutes, stirring once halfway through the cooking time. The sweet potatoes should be soft and the grapes should be slightly wrinkly. Remove from the oven and set aside.
- Place the spinach in a very large bowl. Add the warm roasted grapes and sweet potatoes to the spinach, making sure to scrape in any oil left behind on the baking sheet. Toss gently to combine, sprinkling with some balsamic vinegar as you do so. Add the hazelnuts and goat cheese, tossing gently to combine.
- Transfer the salad to serving dishes and enjoy while still warm.
All images and text ©