This post was originally published here December 29, 2016. The recipe remains unchanged, but I’ve recently updated the text and photographs.
You all know by now that I don’t do boring salads. Or small salads.
So trust me when I tell you that this Warm Spinach Salad with Roasted Grapes and Sweet Potatoes is the next Big F*cking Salad that you need in your rotation.
This salad is truly worthy of greatness. I love every ingredient in it, but I think the stand out for me would have to be the roasted grapes. Roasted grapes are hands down delicious. Their flavor gets concentrated during roasting. And they come out of the oven extra juicy, sweet and wrinkly (not sure if “wrinkly” is an attribute, but I just like saying it!). It’s such a fun and easy trick to bring this fruit into your salads in a new way.
I also adore roasted grapes on these crostinis. And in this compote. Check them both out!
And real talk…if you have some grapes that are getting a little soft and not ideal for eating on their own, this is a great way to repurpose them.
In addition to the roasted grapes, this salad also has roasted sweet potatoes. This is one of my go-to ingredients for making Winter salads feel more satisfying. To keep things as streamlined as possible, I roast both the grapes and sweet potatoes together in the same baking dish. But because the grapes don’t take too long, it’s important to make sure you cut the sweet potato into small-ish pieces here. This way both the grapes and the sweet potatoes will be ready at the same time.
Once the grapes and sweet potatoes have finished roasting, you’re going to scrape everything into a big bowl with the spinach, adding in some balsamic vinegar, chopped pistachios and crumbled goat cheese as you do so. The residual heat will create a slight wilt on the spinach leaves. But don’t worry, because this salad is still far from soggy.
I guess I should also add “no soggy salads” to the list above.
If you try my Warm Spinach Salad with Roasted Grapes and Sweet Potatoes, give me a shout out and let me know! I’d love to hear about it!
Warm Spinach Salad with Roasted Grapes and Sweet Potatoes
- 2 cups red seedless grapes
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and sliced into thin triangles
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, minced
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 8 cups baby spinach leaves
- 2-3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup chopped pistachios
- 1/2 cup crumbled goat cheese
- Pre-heat your oven to 400 degrees. Add the grapes, sweet potatoes, olive oil and maple syrup to a large bowl. Toss to coat. Then spread the grapes and sweet potatoes out in a large baking dish. Sprinkle with the minced rosemary and salt. Transfer the baking dish to your pre-heated oven and roast for 20 minutes, stirring once halfway through the cooking time. The sweet potatoes should be soft and the grapes should be juicy and wrinkly.
- Place the spinach in a large bowl. Scrape the warm roasted sweet potatoes and grapes, along with any accumulated oil/juices in the baking dish, into the bowl with the spinach. Toss to combine, sprinkling in the balsamic vinegar as you do so. Add the pistachios and goat cheese and toss to combine.
- Divide the salad between serving dishes and enjoy immediately while still warm.
I had no idea about the grape thing! I need more salads in my life right now, seeing as cookies and toffee have been staples in my diet lately (whoops!). Cheers to 2017 friend!
I’m basically alternating between salads and cookies at this point. Lol. It’s bad.
This looks so delicious! A great wintry salad.
Thanks, Karlie! I love warm salads in the Winter months!
Hope you have an amazing NYE and a fantastic 2017! Cheers, Liz! <3
Thanks, Sarah! Right back at you!
Wayyyyy too many cookies for me to count, as well. I hope you had a wonderful Christmas, Liz! I’ll have to take you up on eating 12 grapes before midnight. I’ll be eating black-eyed peas the very next morning with hopes of the same good luck following my way! 😉 And now for some salad, carrots, and hummus, now that all of those cookies have disappeared. XO!
Oh yes, I almost forgot about the black eyes peas! I need to go grab some. I think we all need a little bit of luck in 2017! Miss you! XOXO!
This is my kind of salad!! Miss you, friend! <3
Miss you too! Hope to see you in 2017!
Oh yes ! I’m in. Thank you and have a pleasant and happy 2017 !
Happy New Year!
Made this for New Year’s crowd and everyone loved it. The roasted grapes were a delicious surprise. Great recipe!
That’s so great to hear, Hillary! Yeah!
Happy New Year, Liz! What a great way to jump into the new year. I’ve not roasted grapes yet, but need to follow your lead! I know I’ll love it! Your photography just keeps getting better and better… you’re such an inspiration to me! Thank you for sharing and here’s to a fabulous 2017! xo
Aww…you are so sweet, Traci. You always make me smile. Cheers to a fabulous 2017! I hope we meet in person this year!
I always forget about grapes as salad mix-ins! But that sweet tart punch is just what my salad mojo needs.
Yes, me too! This is a common problem with me – completely forgetting about certain food items for long periods of time. Occupational hazard, I suppose!
Beautiful update, Liz! And a reminder to make a warm spinach salad! I’m loving the flavor and texture contrasts here.
I hope you try it, Traci!