Little by little, my house is finally starting to come together. You know, it’s funny how furniture can really help with the whole “lived in” look and feel of a place.
Yes. It’s true. I’ve been basically furniture-less for the past couple of weeks. Fun times. My back is not happy with me right now.
BUT I got a few pieces delivered on Monday, so things are starting to appear more normal. And slowly but surely, I’m getting used to my new kitchen. Not everything is in the “right” place yet, and I’m finding myself having to chase the light around a bit more than I did in my previous house, but overall things are looking OK.
This Cherry, Grilled Corn and Quinoa Salad with Arugula and Blue Cheese was the first thing (other than a batch of chocolate chip cookies) that I made and photographed in my new space. It’s not overly complex. And it doesn’t require a long list of ingredients. It’s just summery, simple and satisfying. Which is about all I require of a salad these days. Life can be complicated sometimes. Our lunch shouldn’t be.
The dressing is fairly light, so this salad can be prepped a couple hours in advance of serving without getting soggy. It would be a great choice for a summer party or potluck (hint: 4th of July is right around the corner!).
Cherry, Grilled Corn and Quinoa Salad with Arugula and Blue Cheese
- 1/2 cup quinoa
- 1 cup water
- 4 ears of corn, husks and silks removed
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 3 cups arugula
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves, roughly torn
- 2 cups cherries, stemmed, pitted and halved
- 1/2 cup blue cheese crumbles
- Cook the quinoa. Combine the quinoa and water in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil and then reduce the temperature to maintain a simmer. Simmer, covered, for about 15 minutes or until all the water is absorbed. Remove the saucepan from the heat and let it stand covered for about 5 minutes. Then fluff the quinoa with a fork and set it aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, grill the corn. Pre-heat your grill to high. Add the corn and cook on all sides until some of the kernels have started to blacken, about 5-8 minutes total. Remove the corn from the grill and set it aside to cool slightly. Once the corn is cool enough to handle, cut the kernels off the cob and place them in a large bowl. Set aside.
- Make the dressing. Whisk together the vinegar, olive oil, maple syrup, salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Finish the salad. Add the quinoa, arugula and basil leaves to the bowl with the corn kernels. Add the dressing, tossing to coat. Then stir in the cherries and the blue cheese crumbles.
- Serve immediately. Alternatively, this salad can be refrigerated for a couple hours before serving.